The BFWC is part of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, founded in April 1890. Woman’s clubs throughout the country, and internationally, support local organizations through fundraising and donations. We are also in the East Central District of the state organization, the GFWC of Minnesota. The Bloomington Federated Woman’s Club was organized November 9, 1962 and federated November 19, 1962.
The BFWC has a long list of organizations and efforts it has supported through events such as its annual scholarship fundraiser. One of the many benefitting organizations has been Bloomington-based Cornerstone. The club also supports Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP), and Oasis for Youth.
Each year the club also provides scholarships to a Bloomington girl attending one of the city’s public high schools. In addition to the annual $2,000 scholarship, the group also gives $500 to a girl who will be attending Normandale Community College following high school.
The club was formed with 37 charter members. Today there are about 80 members. Besides monthly luncheons with timely programs, the club organizes special interest groups for members who are interested in activities such as a book club, playing bridge or making afghans for veterans. We also coordinate special events to fund its scholarships and other donations, such as wine and cheese parties, and support for GFWC partners such as Heifer International.